1. The paleomagnetic results obtained from India indicate that in the past, the Indian landmass has moved :
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 1998, I.A.S. (Pre) 1995]
2. The Indian subcontinent was originally part of a huge mass called :
(a) Jurassic land mass
(d) Gondwana Continent
[I.A.S. (Pre) 1995]
Ans. (d) Gondwana Continent
3. India is divided into how many Natural Territories?
[R.A.S./R.T.S. (Pre) 1996]
4. In which part of Uttarakhand are artesian wells found?
(c) Shivalik Hills
(d) None of the above
[Uttarakhand P.C.S. (Mains) 2006]
5. If there were no Himalayan ranges, what would have been the most likely geographical impact on India?
1. Most of the country would experience the cold waves from Siberia.
2. The Indo-Gangetic plain would be devoid of such extensive alluvial soils.
3. The pattern of monsoon would be different from what it is at present.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 1 and 3 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
[I.A.S. (Pre) 2010]
6. Consider the following statements regarding the formation of landforms in India :
I. Structurally, the Meghalaya plateau is an extended part of the Deccan plateau.
II. The Valley of Kashmir was formed in a synclinorium.
III. The Gangetic plain was formed in a fore deep.
IV. The Himalayas originated as a result of the triangular convergence of the Indian plate, the European plate, and the Chinese plate.
Which of these statements are correct?
(a) I, II and III
(b) I, III and IV
(c) I and III
(d) II and IV
[47th B.P.S.C. (Pre) 2005]
7. Which of the following statements is incorrect?
(a) Geologically Peninsula region is India’s most ancient part.
(b) The Himalayan mountains demonstrate the most newly developed folded mountains in the world.
(c) The Western coastline of India is formed by the deposition process of the rivers.
(d) Gondwana rocks have the largest reserve of coal in India.
[U.P. Lower Sub. (Pre) 2004]
Ans. (c) The Western coastline of India is formed by the deposition process of the rivers.
8. Which one of the following geographical regions is the oldest in the country?
(a) Himalayan Mountainous Region
(b) Great Plains of North India
(c) Indian Peninsular Plateau
(d) Eastern Coastal Plains
[Chhattisgarh P.C.S. (Pre) 2017]
Ans. (c) Indian Peninsular Plateau
9. Which of the following is a desert region?
(a) Sindhu area
(b) Gangetic area
(c) Assam area
(d) Central India area
[M.P. P.C.S. (Pre) 2018]
10. Match List I with List II and select the correct answer:
|A. Deccan Traps
|| 1. Late Cenozoic
|B. Western Ghats
|| 2. Pre-Cambrian
||3. Cretaceous Eocene
|D. Narmada -Tapti alluvial deposits
A B C D
(a) 3 5 1 4
(b) 3 1 2 5
(c) 2 1 3 4
(d) 1 4 2 5
[I.A.S. (Pre) 1997]
11. Rajasthan desert or Thar desert is the expanse of which of the following?
(c) Pleistocene and recent deposits
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 2018]
Ans. (c) Pleistocene and recent deposits
12. Kuttanad (or Kuttanadu) of Kerala is famous for :
(a) A freshwater lake
(b) The region with the lowest altitude in India
(c) A coral island
(d) The westernmost point of India
[U.P.P.C.S. (Mains) 2015]
Ans. (b) The region with the lowest altitude in India