Recently, the 21st edition of the World Press Freedom Index was released by the non-profit organisation Reporters Without Borders. As per report, India has slipped 11 places to the 161″ rank out of 180 countries.
About World Press Freedom Index, 2023
- Published on: May 3, 2023 (World Press Freedom Day)
- Published annually by: Reports Without Border (a non-profit organization based in France)
The index is based on five indicators. They are as follows-
- Political context;
- Legal framework;
- Economic context;
- Sociocultural context;
- Norway is ranked first for the seventh year running, which is followed by Ireland (2 rank) and Denmark(3 rank).
- The last three places are occupied solely by Asian countries: Vietnam (178th), China (179) and North Korea (180).
- As per report, India has slipped 11 places to the 161st rank out of 180 countries ranking below countries such as Somalia (141), Pakistan (150), and Afghanistan (152).