The Rajya Sabha passed the Digital Personal Data Protection Bill, 2023 on August 09, 2023, it was already passed by Lok Sabha on August 07, 2023,
The act seeks “to provide for the processing of digital personal data in a manner that recognises both the right of individuals to protect their personal data and the need to process such personal data for lawful purposes.”
History of Data Protection Bill
- In 2017, the central government constituted the B.N. Sri krishna Committee to examine issues relating to data protection in the country.
- Based on the recommendation of the Committee, the Personal Data Protection Bill, 2019 was introduced in Lok Sabha.
- The act will apply to the processing of digital personal data within India.
- Consent: Personal data may be processed only for a lawful purpose for which an individual has given consent. A notice must be given before seeking consent.
- An individual, whose data is being processed (data principal), will have the right to.
- The central government will establish the Data Protection Board of India.