2. Rail Transport
1. The railways in India were first opened in –
[44th B.P.S.C. (Pre) 2000]
2. When was the first railway line opened in India and between which stations?
(a) Between Delhi-Agra in 1854
(b) Between Bombay and Pune in 1853
(c) Between Bombay and Thane in 1853
(d) None of these
[M.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 1994, U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 1996]
Ans. (c) Between Bombay and Thane in 1853
3. The first railway line in India was started in the year –
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 1990]
4. The width between two rails of Broad gauge is –
(a) 6 1/2 ft
(b) 5 1/2 ft
(c) 5 ft
(d) 4 1/2 ft
[38th B.P.S.C. (Pre) 2008]
5. The shortest rail route of Mumbai from Gorakhpur runs through –
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 1993]
6. The Rail Ministry of India has a plan to introduce bullet trains between :
(a) Mumbai – Ahmedabad
(b) Mumbai – Hyderabad
(c) Mumbai – New Delhi
(d) Mumbai – Pune
[U.P.U.D.A. / L.D.A. (Pre) 2001]
Ans. (a) Mumbai – Ahmedabad
7. Which one of the following pairs is not correctly matched?
Railway Zone Headquarters
(a) North-Eastern Railway : Gorakhpur
(b) South-Eastern Railway : Bhubaneshwar
(c) Eastern Railway : Kolkata
(d) South-East Central Railway : Bilaspur
[I.A.S. (Pre) 2006]
Ans. (b) South-Eastern Railway : Bhubaneshwar
8. The headquarters of South-Eastern Railway is –
[M.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 1990]
9. Consider the following statements concerning the Indian Railways:
1. The headquarters of the North Western Railway are located at Jodhpur.
2. ‘Indrail pass’ – a travel-as-you-please ticket has been created especially for freedom fighters and sportspersons who have represented India in any game/sport.
3. Fairy Queen is a train using the world’s oldest working engines and the Indian Railways conduct a journey of wildlife and heritage sites on it.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 2 only
(b) 3 only
(c) 1 and 2
[I.A.S. (Pre) 2005]
10. The Railway Zone Headquater Hajipur is located in –
(b) Uttar Pradesh
[48th to 52nd B.P.S.C. (Pre) 2008]
11. Where is the Headquarters of the North-Central Railway Zone situated?
[Uttarakhand P.C.S. (Pre) 2012]
12. Even though the Railways are the most pervasive mode of transport in India, it is road transport which received the maximum impetus in most of the post-independence period. Which of the following are the reasons for this?
1. Railways are cheap to operate but the associated capital costs are very high.
2. Given the geographic spread of human settlements, it is unrealistic that the railways alone can serve the needs of transport.
3. The per unit (tonne/km) cost of transport is cheaper on the road compared to rail transport.
4. Given the indivisible nature of the Railways, it is not always convenient for the population to avail it with the same ease as private cars, buses or two-wheelers.
Select the correct answer by using codes given below:
(a) 1, 2 and 3
(b) 1, 2 and 4
(c) 1, 3 and 4
(d) 2, 3 and 4
[I.A.S. (Pre) 1994]
13. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer from the codes given below :
List- I List- II
A. Rail Coach Factory 1. Bangalore
B. Wheel and Axle Plant 2. Perambur
C. Diesel Locomotive Works 3. Kapurthala
D. Integral Coach Factory 4. Varanasi
A B C D
(a) 1 2 3 4
(b) 4 3 2 1
(c) 1 3 4 2
(d) 3 1 4 2
[U.P.P.C.S. (Mains) 2008]
14. The Diesel Rail Locomotive is manufactured at –
[Uttarakhand P.C.S. (Pre) 2005]
15. Which of the following groups of states where passenger rail coaches are manufactured widely?
(a) Punjab & Tamil Nadu
(b) Odisha & West Bengal
(c) Tamil Nadu & West Bengal
(d) West Bengal & Punjab
[U.P.P.C.S. (Spl) (Pre) 2008]
Ans. (a) Punjab & Tamil Nadu
16. Where is the Railway Staff College located?
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 1991]
17. In which industry is Sal Wood used mostly?
(d) Railway Sleepers
[M.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 1995]
Ans. (d) Railway Sleepers
18. The third rail coach factory is being established at
[U.P.P.C.S. (Spl) (Pre) 1995]
19. On which rail section the first CNG train was launched?
(a) Delhi – Agra section
(b) Rohtak – Chandigarh section
(c) Delhi – Chandigarh section
(d) Rewari – Rohtak section
[U.P.P.C.S. (Mains) 2016]
Ans. (d) Rewari – Rohtak section
20. Which of the following States became the first State where the railway track was made on the PPP model?
[U.P.P.C.S. (Mains) 2016]
21. Which one of the following statements is not true of the Konkan Railway?
(a) The total length is about 760 km.
(b) It runs through the states of Karnataka, Goa, Maharashtra and Keralav
(c) It is the only rail route that cuts across the Western Ghats
(d) The Konkan Railway Construction Company which came into being raised money through Public Issues.
[I.A.S. (Pre) 1999]
Ans. (b) It runs through the states of Karnataka, Goa, Maharashtra and Keralav
22. The Konkan Railway connects:
(a) Mumbai to Manmad
(b) Roha to Mangalore
(c) Mangalore to Kochi
(d) Mumbai to Pune
[U.P.U.D.A./L.D.A. (Pre) 2013]
Ans. (b) Roha to Mangalore
23. Which one of the following sets of states benefits the most from the Konkan Railway?
(a) Goa, Karnataka, Maharashtra
(b) Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu
(c) Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Goa, Maharashtra
(d) Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa, Tamil Nadu
[I.A.S. (Pre) 1998]
Ans. (a) Goa, Karnataka, Maharashtra
24. Konkan Railway does not connect :
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 2010]
25. Which of the railway connecting the following two stations has been recognised as heritage railway line by UNESCO?
(a) Siliguri and Darjeeling
(b) Allahabad and Varanasi
(c) Mumbai and Thane
(d) Amritsar and Ludhiana
[R.A.S./R.T.S. (Pre) 2013]
Ans. (a) Siliguri and Darjeeling
26. Which one of the following states is deprived of rail service in India?
(c) Arunachal Pradesh
[U.P.U.D.A./L.D.A. (Pre) 2013]
27. Which one of the following numbered Rajdhani trains covers the longest distance?
(a) 12429 Bangalore City Junction
(b) 12431 Trivandrum Central
(c) 12433 Chennai Central
(d) 12435 Dibrugarh Town
[53rd to 55th B.P.S.C. (Pre) 2011]
Ans. (b) 12431 Trivandrum Central
28. What is the correct sequence of the following rail tunnels by a length in descending order?
(a) Pir Panjal, Karbude, Nathuwadi, Berdewadi
(b) Karbudi, Pir Panjal, Nathuwadi, Berdewadi
(c) Berdewadi, Nathuwadi, Pir Panjal, Karbude
(d) Nathuwadi, Berdewadi, Karbudem, Pir Panjal
[U.P.P.C.S. (Mains) 2015]
Ans. (a) Pir Panjal, Karbude, Nathuwadi, Berdewadi