The Kerala Health Department on January 24, 2022, confirmed two cases of norovirus in class 1 students in Ernakulam district.
About the Virus
- Detected in India in: Ernakulam district, Kerala
- Detected On: January 24, 2022
- Type of: Gastrointestinal infection
- Also Known as: “winter vomiting disease”
- Norovirus is a very contagious virus that causes vomiting and diarrhea.
- Anyone can get infected and sick with norovirus from:
- Having direct contact with an infected person
- Consuming contaminated food or water
- Touching contaminated surfaces and then putting your unwashed hands in your mouth
|Note: The virus is capable of surviving low temperatures, and outbreaks tend to be more common during the winter and in colder countries – that is why it is sometimes referred to as “winter vomiting disease”.