Climate Change Performance Index, 2023 was released in COP 27, assessing 59 countries and the European Union on Climate change policies and actions.
Important Facts About CCPI
- India ranked 10th in CCPI, 2022 and 8th in CCPI, 2023.
- CCPI Aims to enhance transparency in international climate politics and enables comparison of climate protection efforts and progress made by Individual countries.
- The CCPI looks at four categories, with 14 Indicators: GHG Emissions (40% of the overall score) Renewable Energy (20%), Energy Use (20%) and Climate Policy (20%).
- India has been ranked amongst top 5 countries in the world, and the best among the G20 countries, based on its climate change performance.
- CCPI places India as the only G-20 country in the top 10 Rank.
- Denmark, Sweden, Chile and Morocco as the only four small countries that were ranked above India as 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th respectively.
- The First, Second and Third ranks were not awarded to any country.
- As per the CCPI report India is on track to meet its 2030 emissions target (compatible with a well-below 2°C. Scenario).