Recently, IIT Guwahati announced that its researcher has developed a new catalyst for Clean: Hydrogen Production from Wood Alcohol.
About the Development
- Developed by: Researchers at IIT Guwahati
- Use: Catalyst for clean hydrogen production
- Researchers at IIT Guwahati led by Akshai Kumar A.S., Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry have developed a new catalyst for clean hydrogen production from wood alcohol with no side production of carbon dioxide.
- The chemical reaction also produces Formic acid as a byproduct which is a major industrial chemical.
- This new catalyst has a pincer (crab-like) design hence the name.
|What are Catalyst?
- Catalysis is the process of increasing the rate of a chemical reaction by adding a substance known as a catalyst.
- Catalysts are not consumed in the reaction and remain unchanged after it.