Recently the establishment of NET Zero innovation virtual centre is announced in the presence of UK Minister George Freeman and Union Minister of India Dr. Jitendra Singh during Science and Innovation Council meeting on 27 April 2023.
- It is a joint initiative of India and the UK to enhance their cooperation in science and technology.
- Both countries will work together on the decarbonization of manufacturing & transport systems and green hydrogen as a renewable source.
- To reduce the carbon emissions and achieve the ambitious Net Zero targets.
India’s NET Zero pledge:
- The Prime Minister of India pledged to get 50% of its energy from renewable resources by 2030.
- To reduce total projected carbon emissions by one billion tonnes.
- India is the World’s Fourth biggest emitter of carbon dioxide after China, the US, and the EU.