1. The largest country in the world is :
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 1996]
Ans. (c & d) China & U.S.A
2. Arrange the following countries in descending order of their area and select the correct answer using codes given below-
(a) iii iv i ii
(b) ii iii iv i
(c) ii iv i iii
(d) i iii ii iv
[R.A.S./R.T.S. (Pre) 2012]
3. The correct ascending order of the following countries in terms of area is :
(a) Brazil, Argentina, Australia, India
(b) Australia, Brazil, India, Argentina
(c) Argentina, India, Australia, Brazil
(d) India, Brazil, Argentina, Australia
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 2012]
Ans. (c) Argentina, India, Australia, Brazil
4. Which of the following countries is not larger than India in terms of Area?
[U.P.U.D.A./L.D.A. (Pre) 2013]
5. Which of the following countries of South Asia is the smallest in terms of area ?
(c) Sri Lanka
[Uttarakhand P.C.S. (Pre) 2006]
6. Which one of the following countries has the longest coastline?
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 2015]
7. Which country has the largest coastline?
[56th to 59th B.P.S.C. (Pre) 2015]
8. Which one of the following countries is the largest country without borders in terma of geographical area?
(a) New Zealand
(e) None of the above/More than one of the above
[65th B.P.S.C. (Pre) 2019]
9. Which of these countries forms the longest territorial border with India?
[U.P.U.D.A./L.D.A. (Pre) 2013, M.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 2013]
10. Which one of the following countries does not share a border with the Caspian Sea?
[I.A.S. (Pre) 2003]
11. Which of the following countries does not form a border with the Caspian Sea?
[M.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 2017]
12. Israel has common borders with:
(a) Lebanon, Syria, Jordan and Egypt
(b) Lebanon, Syria, Turkey and Jordan
(c) Cyprus, Turkey, Jordan and Egypt
(d) Turkey, Syria, Iraq and Yemen
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 2017, 47th B.P.S.C. (Pre) 2005, I.A.S. (Pre) 2003]
Ans. (a) Lebanon, Syria, Jordan and Egypt
13. Very recently, in which of the following countries have lakhs of people either suffered from severe famine/ acute malnutrition or died due to starvation caused by war/ethnic conflicts?
(a) Angola and Zambia
(b) Morocco and Tunisia
(c) Venezuela and Colombia
(d) Yemen and South Sudan
[I.A.S. (Pre) 2018]
Ans. (d) Yemen and South Sudan
14. China does not share its border with?
[Jharkhand P.C.S. (Pre) 2013]
Ans. (b & d) Pakistan & Bulgaria
15. ‘Horn of Africa’ consists of –
(a) Algeria, Morocco and West Sahara
(b) Libya, Sudan and Egypt
(c) Somalia, Ethiopia and Djibouti
(d) Zimbabwe, Botswana and Angola
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 1999]
Ans. (c) Somalia, Ethiopia and Djibouti
16. The Horn of Africa does not include –
[U.P.P.C.S. (Mains) 2009]
17. Zambia does not have a common border with –
[U.P.R.O./A.R.O. (Mains) 2013]
18. Consider the following countries :
2. Bosnia Herzegovina
Which of these countries has/have the Adriatic Sea as a boundary?
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 1, 2 and 3
(c) Only 4
(d) 3 and 4
[I.A.S. (Pre) 2002]
19. Which one of the following is not a Balkan country?
[M.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 2004]
20. Which of the following countries is not located in Central America?
(b) Sierra Leone
[U.P.R.O./A.R.O. (Mains) 2014]
21. Which one of the following countries does not border with Lithuania?
[I.A.S. (Pre) 2005]
22. Consider the following statements:
1. Great Britain comprises England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
2. England covers less than 60% of the total area of the United Kingdom.
Which of these statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
[I.A.S. (Pre) 2005]
23. Which of the following is not included in the geographical group of countries designated the name Oceania?
[Uttarakhand P.C.S. (Pre) 2010]
24. Which of the following is not included in the group of Scandinavian countries?
[U.P.U.D.A./L.D.A. (Pre) 2001]
25. Afghanistan does not have a common border with
[U.P.P.C.S. (Mains) 2012, U.P. Lower Sub. (Pre) 2002]
26. Other than India and China, which one of the following groups of countries border with Myanmar?
(a) Bangladesh, Thailand and Vietnam
(b) Cambodia, Laos and Malaysia
(c) Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia
(d) Thailand, Laos and Bangladesh
[I.A.S. (Pre) 2006]
Ans. (d) Thailand, Laos and Bangladesh
27. Which among the following countries NOT located on the western coast of Africa?
[U.P. R.O./A.R.O. (Pre) (Re-Exam) 2016]