1. Match List – I with List – II and using the given codes select the correct answer :
List – I List – II
(Grassland) (Country / Continent)
A. Steppes 1. United States of America
B. Prairies 2. South Africa
C. Welds 3. Russia
D. Downs 4. Australia
A B C D
(a) 2 1 3 4
(b) 1 4 2 3
(c) 3 1 2 4
(d) 4 2 3 1
[M.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 2020]
2. Which one of the following is not correctly matched?
(a) Prairies – North America
(b) Pampas – South America
(c) Steppes – Europe
(d) Veld – Australia
[U.P.P.C.S. (Mains) 2015]
Ans. (d) Veld – Australia
3. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer from the codes given below :
List -I List-II
A. Llanos 1. North America
B. Steppe 2. Africa
C. Prairies 3. Europe
D. Veld 4. South America
A B C D
(a) 4 3 1 2
(b) 2 3 4 1
(c) 4 3 2 1
(d) 4 1 3 2
[U.P.P.C.S. (Mains) 2016]
4. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the codes given below the lists :
A. Pampas 1. Australia
B. Pustaz 2. South Africa
C. Veld 3. Argentina
D. Downs 4. Hungary
A B C D
(a) 3 4 2 1
(b) 3 2 1 4
(c) 4 1 2 3
(d) 4 2 1 3
[U.P. R.O./A.R.O. (Pre) 2017]
5. Which of the following pair is correct ?
(Countries) (Grass fields)
(a) Kenya – Campos
(b) Argentina – Pampas
(c) Venezuela – Savanna
(d) United States of America – the Steppe
[R.A.S./R.T.S. (Pre) 1992]
Ans. (b) Argentina – Pampas
6. In which of the following countries is the Pampas grasslands situated?
[U.P. P.C.S. (Pre) 2018]
7. The Savannas are most widespread in –
(c) North America
(d) South America
[U.P.P.C.S. (Mains) 2011, U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 1993]
8. Which one of the following natural regions is known as the ‘Land of Big Games’?
(a) Temperate Grassland
(b) Tropical Monsoon Region
(c) Hot Desert Region
(d) Tropical Savanna Region
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 2019]
Ans. (d) Tropical Savanna Region
9. The wide treeless grassy plain in South America are called
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 2005]
10. What is the name of mid-latitude grassland in South America?
(e) None of the above/More than one of the above
[60th to 62nd B.P.S.C. (Pre) 2016]
11. Given below are two statements, one is labeled as Assertion (A) and the other as Reason (R).
Assertion (A): The Pampas plain is the main region for cultivation in Argentina.
Reason (R): The fertile soil of Pampas and the temperate climate are very useful for growing crops and grasses.
Choose the correct answer from the code given below.
(a) Both (A) and (R) are true and (R) is the correct explanation of (A)
(b) Both (A) and (R) are true but (R) is not the correct explanation of (A)
(c) (A) is true but (R) is false
(d) (A) is false but (R) is true
[U.P. R.O./A.R.O. (Mains) 2016]
Ans. (a) Both (A) and (R) are true and (R) is the correct explanation of (A)
12. Which of the following is correctly matched
(a) Campos – Northern Brazil
(b) Llanos – Venezuela
(c) Pampas – Chile
(d) Selvas – Southern Brazil
[U.P.P.S.C. (GIC) 2010]
Ans. (b) Llanos – Venezuela
13. Which one of the following is not correctly matched ?
(a) Downs – Tropical grassland
(b) Steppes – Temperate grassland
(c) Selva – Tropical forest
(d) Taiga – Temperate forest
[U.P.P.C.S. (Mains) 2002]
Ans. (a) Downs – Tropical grassland
14. Which of the following is not a temperate grassland?
[U.P. Lower Sub. (Pre) 2013, U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 2012]
15. In which one of the following countries are Pampas Grasslands located?
[U.P.P.C.S. (Mains) 2012]
16. Which of the following temperate grasslands are found in Eurasia?
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 2014]
17. The vegetation of the savannah consists of grassland with scattered small trees, but extensive areas have no trees. The forest development in such areas is generally kept in check by one or more or a combination of some conditions. Which of the following are such conditions?
1. Burrowing animals and termites
3. Grazing herbivores
4. Seasonal rainfall
5. Soil properties
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 4 and 5
(c) 2, 3 and 4
(d) 1, 3 and 5
[I.A.S. (Pre) 2021]