On July 17, 2023 India’s foreign minister Dr. S. Jaishankar participated in the first ever foreign minister meet of Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) in Bangkok, Thailand, on July 17.
Key outcome of meet
- The focus lies on reinforcing resilience and coordination among among BIMSTEC members, acknowledging the shared challenges faced today.
- New avenues of cooperation were explored to address common concerns regarding food, health, and energy security.
- Collaborating on technology solutions and exchanging best practices are key components of their shared objectives to foster growth and prosperity.
What is BIMSTEC?
- The BIMSTEC is a regional organisation comprising seven Member States: five deriving from South Asia, including Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka and two from Southeast Asia, including Myanmar and Thailand.
- This sub-regional organisation came into being on 6th June 1997 through the Bangkok Declaration. .
- The BIMSTEC Secretariat is in Dhaka, Bangladesh