Skip to content
Wayanad tops Swachh Bharat Mission’s ODF Plus rankings
- Wayanad district (100 points) has come first in the ODF Plus rankings of the Swachh Bharat Mission in three-star category, followed by Mancheriyal district (90.45) in Maharashtra and Anupur (88.79) in Madya Pradesh.
- The ODF Plus scores of panchayats and districts: were determined using the ODF Plus progress reports given by villages till October 1, 2022.
- Previously, the district had won two national awards in the sanitation and waste management sectors.
About Open defecation free (ODF)
- Open defecation free’ (ODP) is a term used to describe communities that have shifted to using
toilets instead of open defecation.
- According to a government committee report, despite the fact that work on three protocols under the next phase of Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban-2)-ODF+, ODF++ and Water Plus- is to be completed by 2024, the ground situation was not matching with the assigned timeline.
- Under Phase 1 of the Swachh Bharat Mission (U), 99 per cent of the cities became ODF, the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MOHUA) had claimed in December 2019.
- ODF+ and ODF++ are aimed towards proper maintenance of toilet facilities and safe collection, conveyance, treatment/disposal of all faecal sludge and sewage. While ODF+ focuses on toilets with water, maintenance and hygiene, ODF++ focuses on toilets with sludge and septage management.