Skip to content
The State of the Climate in Asia 2021, Report
- Released on: November 14, 2022
- Released by: World Meteorological Organization and the UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
- Asian countries incurred financial losses worth USD 35.6 billion in 2021 because of natural disasters.
- Flooding was the event with “by far the greatest impact in Asia in terms of fatalities and economic damage.”
- India suffered a total loss of USD 3.2 billion from flooding.
- Storms also caused significant economic damage, especially in India (USD 4.4 billion), followed by China (USD 3 billion) and Japan (USD 2 billion).
- Five cyclonic storms (Tauktae, Yaas, Gulab, Shaheen, Jawad) occurred in India during 2021, with maximum sustained wind speeds of ≥ 34 knots.