India is now the most populous country in the world, having overtaken China in population, the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) said in its State of World Population (SOWP) report, 8 Billion Lives, Infinite Possibilities’, the case for rights and choices released on April 19, 2023.
Highlights of the report
- The UNFPA has said the population of the world is 8,045 million, of which the largest share (65%) is of people between the ages of 15 and 64 years, followed by those in the 10-24 years group (24%).
- 10 per cent of the population is above 65 years of age.
- According to the UN’s 2022 report, the world’s two most populous regions are Eastern and South- Eastern Asia, with 2.3 billion people, representing 29 per cent of the global population.
- The UN report states that Indis now has 1,428.6 million people and is the most populous country in the world, outstripping China’s population.
- As much as 68% of India’s population belongs to the 15-64 years category, and 20% in the 10-24 years, group, making India one of the youngest countries in the world.
- However, the fertility rate in India has been steadily dropping