Economic Advisory Council to Prime Minister (EAC-PM) released the Social Progress Index (SPI) for states and districts of India on December 20, 2022. The report has been prepared by Institute for Competitiveness and Social Progress Imperative. The report was released by Dr. Bibek Debroy, Chairman, EAC-PM.
About Social Progress Index (SPI)
- SPI is a comprehensive tool intended to be a holistic measure of the Social Progress made by the country at the national and sub-national levels.
- The index assesses states and districts based on 12 components across three critical dimensions of social progress
- Basic Human Needs,
- Foundations of Well-being, and
Important Points of the Report
- Puducherry has the highest SPI score of 65.99 in the country.
- Lakshadweep and Goa closely follow it with scores of 65.89 and 65.53, respectively.
- Jharkhand and Bihar scored the lowest, 43.95 and 44.47, respectively.
- Aizawl (Mizoram), Solan and Shimla (Himachal Pradesh) were the top three districts.
- Uttar Pradesh is at 31st Place in Making Social Progress with SPI score of 49.16 points.
- For the dimension of Basic Human Needs: Goa, Puducherry, Lakshadweep, and Chandigarh are the top four states with the best performance in Water and Sanitation and Shelter.
- Opportunity dimension: Tamil Nadu has achieved the highest component score of 72.00.