1. Which Article of the Constitution provides that every state shall endeavour to provide an adequate facility for instruction in mother-tongue at primary stage of education?
(a) Article 349
(b) Article 350
(c) Article 350-A
(d) Article 351
[U.P. P.C.S. (Pre) 2003 ,U.P. P.C.S. (Pre) 2002, U.P. Lower Sub. (Pre) 2002 ,I.A.S. (Pre) 2001]
2. Which one of the following is correct about the languages mentioned in the Constitution of India?
(a) The state can compel linguistic minorities to choose their mother tongue as a medium of instruction in primary schools.
(b) ‘Angika’ is now included in the 8th Schedule of the Constitution.
(c) Hindi is the National language of India.
(d) Bodo is a recognized language in the 8th Schedule of the Constitution.
[U.P.P.C.S. (Mains) 2016]
Ans. (d) Bodo is a recognized language in the 8th Schedule of the Constitution.
3. Under Article 344 of the Indian Constitution, the first ‘Official Language Commission’ was established-
(a) In 1950 under the Chairmanship of K.M. Munshi
(b) In 1955 Under the Chairmanship of B.G. Kher
(c) In 1960 under the Chairmanship of M.C. Chagala
(d) In 1965 under the Chairmanship of Humayun Kabir
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 1998]
Ans. (b) In 1955 Under the Chairmanship of B.G. Kher
4. Which of the following languages was added to the eighth schedule of the Constitution in 2003?
[Chhattisgarh P.C.S. (Pre) 2005]
5. Under one of the following Constitutional Amendment Acts, four languages were added to the languages under the Eighth Schedule of the Constitution. Thereby raising their number to 22?
(a) Constitution (90th Amendment) Act
(b) Constitution (91st Amendment) Act
(c) Constitution (92nd Amendment) Act
(d) Constitution (93rd Amendment) Act
[I.A.S. (Pre) 2007]
Ans. (c) Constitution (92nd Amendment) Act
6. Which of the following languages is not included in the Eighth Schedule of the Constitution?
[M.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 2005]
7. Which of the following languages has been added to the Eighth Schedule by the Constitutional Amendment?
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 1990]
8. Which of the following is not included in the Eighth Schedule of our Constitution?
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 1993]
9. Which three languages have been added to the Eighth Schedule of the Constitution by 71st Amendment?
(a) Sindhi, Manipuri, Konkani
(b) Konkani, Kashmiri, Nepali
(c) Nepali, Konkani, Manipuri
(d) Nepali, Konkani, Assamese
[M.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 1993]
Ans. (c) Nepali, Konkani, Manipuri
10. The number of official languages recognized by the constitution in the eighth schedule is………
[48th to 52nd B.P.S.C. (Pre) 2008, Uttarakhand P.C.S. (Mains) 2006, U.P.P.C.S. (Spl) (Mains) 2004]
11. The number of official languages recognized under the Eighth Schedule of the Indian Constitution is –
[U.P.P.C.S. (GIC) 2010]
12. Which Article of the Indian Constitution provides the procedure for the adoption of the official Language or Languages of the State?
13. Which of the following states has given the Sanskrit language the status of second official language?
(c) Uttar Pradesh
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 2011]
14. Parliament can amend the provision on the official language of India under the Constitution by-
(a) a simple majority of its members
(b) 2/3rd majority
(c) 3/4th majority
(d) support of 1/3 of its members
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 2018]
Ans. (a) a simple majority of its members
15. The Provisions related to the official Language of India can be amended by –
(a) Simple majority
(b) Minimum 2/3 majority
(c) Minimum 3/4 majority
(d) Cannot be amended
[U.P.P.C.S. (Mains) 2005]
16. Which one of the following languages included in the VIII Schedule of the Constitution is spoken by the largest number of people?
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 1998 (*)]
17. Which of the following is the correct sequence in descending order of the Indian languages, being used as the mother tongue?
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1, 4, 3, 2
(b) 1, 2, 4, 3
(c) 1, 4, 2, 3
(d) 4, 2, 1, 3
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 2001 (*)]
18. The percentage of Hindi-speaking Indians is about :
[R.A.S./R.T.S.(Pre) 2003 (*)]
19. Which of the following languages is spoken by the maximum number of persons in the world?
[I.A.S. (Pre) 2003 (*)]
20. Which one of the following is a language of Baluchistan but from a philological aspect it is a language of the Dravidian family?
[I.A.S. (Pre) 1994]
21. Consider the following languages:
Which of the language(s) given above has/have been declared as ‘’Classical Language’’ by the Government?
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 3 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
[I.A.S. (Pre) 2014]