The European Space Agency (ESA) launched its Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer, or Juice, mission on April 14, 2023, from its spaceport in French Guiana.
- Launched: JUICE mission
- Launched From: Europe’s Spaceport in French Guiana
- Launched Into: Jupiter system
- ESA’s Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer, Juice, will make detailed observations of the giant gas planet and its three large ocean-bearing moons – Ganymede, Callisto, and Europa- with a suite of remote sensing, geophysical, and in situ instruments.
- The mission will characterise these moons as both planetary objects and possible habitats, explore Jupiter’s complex environment in-depth, and study the wider Jupiter system as an archetype for gas giants across the Universe.
- After an-8 year cruise to Jupiter, utilizing Earth, Moon, and Venus gravity assists, JUICE will go into orbit around Jupiter in July 2031.
|Jupiter and Its Moon
- Jupiter is the fifth planet from the Sun and the largest in the Solar System. It is a gas giant.
- There are 95 moons of Jupiter. The most massive of the moons are the four Galilean moons: lo, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto.