The Indian Navy has recently launched ‘Arnala’, the first of the eight indigenously built anti-submarine warfare shallow watercraft (ASW-SWC).
About INS Arnala
- Launched on: 20 December 2022
- Launched by: Indian Navy
- Launched at: Shipbuilding facility of L&T in Chennai’s Kattupalli
- Type of: ASW-SWC(anti-submarine warfare shallow watercraft)
- Build by: Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE)
- Arnala class of ships will replace the Abhay class ASW Ships of the Indian Navy and are designed to undertake anti-submarine operations in coastal waters and Low-Intensity Maritime Operations (LIMO) including subsurface surveillance in littoral waters.
- The ship has been named Arnala to signify the strategic maritime importance accorded to the island of Arnala by the great Maratha warrior, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.