Starting from 2027, India will join the International Civil Aviation Organization’s (ICAO) Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA) and the Long-Term Aspirational Goals (LTAG) in the aviation sector.
- Announced by: Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA), Gol
- Announced in: April 2023
- The ICAO has been tasked to reduce carbon emissions from international civil aviation as one of its focus areas.
- The ICAO has clubbed them under CORSIA and L.TAG.
- CORSIA is a global scheme by ICAO to address CO, emissions from international aviation.
- It aims to stabilize net CO, emissions at 2020 levels through measures like carbon offsetting and sustainable aviation fuel.
- LTAG aims for net-zero carbon emissions in international aviation by 2050, considering each state’s circumstances and capabilities.
- It was adopted in 41 ICAO Assembly.
India’s participation in the program
- India will be joining only in 2027 so as to give its airlines ample time to become financially sustainable and not feel any pressure due to CORSIA.