During the recently concluded state visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Egypt, India and Egypt signed a strategic partnership agreement.
PM Modi’s Visit to Egypt
- Timeline: June 24-25, 2023
- Signing of: Strategic Partnership Agreement
- Special: First Indian PM visit to Egypt since 1997
- The strategic partnership agreement is a follow-up to the decision arrived at after the two leaders met in January this year, when El-Sisi visited India as the Chief Guest for the Republic Day celebrations this year.
- At that time, they had decided to elevate India-Egypt bilateral relationship to “strategic partnership”.
Key Highlights of the Visit
Strategic Partnership Agreement signed
- MoUs signed: Three MoUs inked in agriculture, archaeology and competition law for enhanced cooperation.
- Bilateral Boost: Indian PM met Egypt’s India Unit, strengthening relations at a High-level.
- War Memorial Tribute: Homage paid to 4,300 fallen Indian soldiers at Heliopolis Commonwealth War Grave Cemetery.
- G-20 Participation: Egypt named “guest country” at G-20 summit, deepening ties.
- Historic Mosque Visit: Indian PM visited 11 century Al-Hakim Mosque, restored by Dawoodi Bohra community, highlighting shared history.