The human development approach, developed by the economist Mahbub Ul Haq, is anchored in the Nobel laureate Amartya Sen’s work on human capabilities, often framed in terms of whether people are able to “be” and “do” desirable things in life.
The first HDR was published in 1990 by United Nations Development Programme
About Human Development Report 2021/22
- Launched on: September 8, 2022
- Launched by: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Theme of the Report: “Uncertain Times, Unsettled Lives: Shaping our Future in a Transforming World”.
- India ranks 132 out of 191 countries in the Human Development Index (HDI) 2021/22.
- In 2021, India’s life expectancy at birth was recorded at 67.2 years; expected years of schooling at 11.9 years, mean years of schooling at 6.7 years; and gross national income per capita (2017 PPP) at $6,590.