Skip to content
Hallmark Unique Identification Number (HUID)
- Bureau of India Standards (BIS) has prohibited the sale of hallmarked gold jewelry or gold artifacts without 6 digits alphanumeric Hallmark Unique Identification Number (HUID) after 31 March 2023.
- Till date old hallmarked jewelry with four marks without HUID was also permitted to be sold by the jewelers along with the 6-digit HUID mark.
About Hallmarking of Jewelry
- The hallmarking scheme for Jewelry was started by BIS in the year 2000.
- 6-digit HUID was introduced from 01 July 2021 and all articles hallmarked post 01 July 2021 have to be hallmarked with HUID only.
- After the introduction of HUID, the hallmark consisted of 3 marks viz, BIS logo, purity of the article, and six-digit alphanumeric HUID.
- Each hallmarked article has a unique HUID number which is traceable.