The tenth edition of Global Terrorism Index (GTI) 2023 was released. This report provides a comprehensive summary of the key global trends and patterns in terrorism over the last decade.
About the Index
- Released on: March 14, 2023
- Released by: The Institute for Economics and
Peace (IEP)-A global think tank headquartered in Sydney, Australia
- Most affected Country by terrorism: Afghanistan
- In 2022, deaths from terrorism fell by nine per cent to 6,701 deaths and is now 38 per cent lower than at its peak in 2015.
- Afghanistan remains the country most impacted by terrorism for the fourth consecutive year, despite a decline in death numbers.
- Outside Afghanistan, terrorism deaths rose 4% in the rest of the world.
- Islamic State (IS) and its affiliates remained the world’s deadliest terrorist group in 2022.
- The Sahel is the most impacted region, representing 43% of global terrorism deaths, 7% more than the year prior.
Status of India
- India is ranked 13 on the index, marking a marginal decrease from the previous year.