- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the Iron Man of India, also considered to be the architect of modern India, has been in news recently with the recent inaugaration of his statue named “ statue of unity “in Gujarat.
- Modern Indian history is incomplete without Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. His vision, his work, and his principles were highly remarkable in Independent India
Contribution of Sardar patel:
- When India became independent in 1947, Sardar Patel took over the role as a deputy PM at a time when Indian history was in a very critical stage.
- In a truly masterful display of statesmanship, Sardar Patel ensured a smooth integration of the troubled domains by not allowing the situation to deteriorate into civil unrest. There was neither bloodshed nor any kind of rebellion as he went about the task of building a strong India with a missionary zeal.
- He played an important role in bringing the 565 self-governing princely states and territories into the Indian federation.
- Adopting different approaches as warranted by the situation, he gave friendly advice in some cases, persuaded the rulers to see reason in others and even used force as in the case of Hyderabad
- He drew a new map of India with every princely State being a part of the Indian union and thus, paved the way for cultural unity and harmony.
- Sardar Patel worked with astonishing speed to dismantle the history of imperialism and create the geography of unity with the spirit of nationalism. He saved India from Balkanization and integrated even the weakest of limbs into the national framework.
- Civil services in Independent India:
- According to many, the actual acknowledgment for the formation of the Indian Civil Service in free India goes to Sardar Patel. His argument led to form a groundwork for Unified National Administration. Patel had the vision to create a strong and vibrant administrative system
- Concern about border security:
- Patel conceptualized some of the greatest policies to keep India secured from border countries’ attack. He wanted India to focus on :-
- The need for strengthening defense force.
- Examining and reshuffling the military position in various borders.
- Strengthening Northern and North-Eastern frontier.
- Improvement of transport and communication in these border areas.
- The roots of Amul can be traced back to his vision for empowering local communities, particularly women. It was Sardar Patel who also popularized the idea of cooperative housing societies, thus ensuring dignity and shelter for man
- Patel’s lasting contribution was protecting the Indian constitution from the ogre of communal electorates.
- He was a major driving force behind the liberal industrial policy resolution of 1948.
- Patel was among the few to see the dangers from China’s imminent takeover of Tibet.
- With this it can be safely concluded that, Sardar Vallabhai Patel’s contribution to the Integration of India, his vision of a newly born state was unmatched and none of the contemporaries could have lived up to the requirements of the time better than him.