Recently on July 26, 2023 Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Rs 2,700-crore Bharat Mandapam (53,399 sq. m.) in the Pragati Maidan complex is undergoing finishing touches before it is handed over to the Ministry of External Affairs for the Summit.
- The Bharat Mandapam is the international exhibition-cum-convention centre (IECC) complex.
- The term Bharat Mandapam derives its root from Lord Basaveshwara’s idea of Anubhav Mandapam, which was a pavilion for public ceremonies.
- The IECC complex has been developed as India’s largest MICE (meetings, incentives, conferences, and exhibitions) destination.
Architecture of Bharat Mandapam
- The shape of the building is derived from the Shankha (conch shell).
- The different walls and facades of the centre depict several elements of India’s traditional art and culture including ‘Surya Shakti’, ‘Zero to ISRO‘ and Pancha Mahabhuta.
- Pancha Mahabhuta significs the building blocks of universal foundation – Aakash (Sky), Vayu (Air), Agni (Fire), Jal (Water), Prithvi (Earth).