Recently, on January 23, 2023 the Ministry of Education, has released All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) 2020-2021.
The Ministry has been conducting All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) since 2011, covering all higher educational institutions located in Indian Territory and imparting higher education in the country.
- The total enrollment in higher education has increased to nearly 4.13 crore in 2020-21 from 3.85 crore in 2019-20.
- The Female enrollment has increased to 2.01 crore from 1.88 crore in 2019-20.
- The percentage of female enrollment to total enrollment has increased from 45% in 2014-15 to around 49% in 2020-21.
- As per 2011 population projections for 18-23 years age group, Gross Enrollment Ratio(GER) has increased to 27.3 from 25.6 in 2019-20.
- Female GER has overtaken Male GER since 2017-18.
- Gender Parity Index (GPI), the ratio of female GER to male GER, has increased from 1 in 2017-18 to 1.05 in 2020-21.
- Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka and Rajasthan are the top 6 States in terms of number of student enrolled.
Number of Institutions
- Highest number of Universities is in Rajasthan (92), Uttar Pradesh (84) and Gujarat (83).
- Top 8 Districts with Highest number of Colleges: Bangalore Urban (1058), Jaipur (671), Hyderabad (488), Pune (466), Prayagraj (374) etc.
- Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat are top 8 States in terms of number of colleges.