1. Consider the following statements about the sedimentary rocks:
1. Sedimentary rocks are formed at the earth’s surface by the hydrological system
2. The formation of sedimentary rocks involves the weathering of preexisting rocks
3. Sedimentary rocks contain fossils
4. Sedimentary rocks typically occur in layers
Which of these statements are correct?
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 1 and 4
(c) 2, 3 and 4
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
[I.A.S. (Pre) 2001]
2. Regarding sedimentary rocks which of the following statements is true?
(a) These are such rocks whose structure depend on temperature and pressure
(b) These rocks are crystal
(c) These rocks are deposited in layers
(d) These rocks cannot be formed in water
[39th B.P.S.C. (Pre) 1994]
Ans. (c) These rocks are deposited in layers
3. Sandstone is flaky rock, because –
(a) It is formed in the desert
(b) It is formed due to Heat
(c) It is formed underwater
(d) It is formed on the mountain
[M.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 1993]
Ans. (c) It is formed underwater
4. Which statement of the following is true for igneous rocks?
(a) These have little fossils
(b) They have porous for water
(c) They are both crystal and non-crystal
(d) These rocks have no silicas
[40th B.P.S.C. (Pre) 1995]
Ans. (c) They are both crystal and non-crystal
5. Which of the following rocks is not likely to contain fossils?
[Jharkhand P.C.S. (Pre) 2013]
6. Origin of Metamorphic rocks occurs from …….. rock?
(c) Both Igneous and Sedimentary
(d) None of the above
[Jharkhand P.C.S. (Pre) 2011]
Ans. (c) Both Igneous and Sedimentary
7. Which one of the following is not an example of Metamorphic rock?
[Uttarakhand P.C.S. (Pre) 2006]
8. Which one of the following is not associated with the ‘group’?
[Uttarakhand P.C.S. (Pre) 2012]