Recently India and Pakistan joined the US and UN in participating in a peace forum on Afghanistan organized by Norway.
Oslo Forum on Afghan Peace Talks
- What: peace forum for Afghanistan mediated by Norway
- Recent talks: held in June 2023
- Participants: Western Countries particularly USA and also UN
- Special: India and Pakistan participated for the first time in Oslo Forum on Afghan Peace Talks
What is OSLO Forum?
- The Oslo Forum is a renowned series of retreats aimed at international conflict mediators, influential decision-makers, and other key figures involved in peace processes.
- Started in 2003 as a small gathering of mediators but has since grown to become the leading retreat in the field of international peacemaking
- The Royal Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue (HD) co-host the Forum.
- The Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue (HD) is a private diplomacy organization that specializes in mediation and dialogue processes to prevent and resolve armed conflicts.
- HD was Established in 1999, based in Geneva, Switzerland, and operates globally.
- All discussions held at the Oslo Forum are confidential and adhere to the Chatham House Rule and entry is strictly on invitation basis only
- Chatham House (UK) is an independent policy institute and a forum for debate and dialogue
- When a meeting, or part thereof, is held under the Chatham House Rule, participants are free to use the information received, but neither the identity nor the affiliation of the speaker(s), nor that of any other participant, may be revealed.