1. Assertion (A): Chemical fertilizers are necessary for the phosphorus needs of plants.
Reason (R): One metric ton of organic manure can barely supply 2 or 3 kg of phosphorus.
From the above statement, which is correct :
(a) Both (A) and (R) are true and (R) is the correct explanation of (A).
(b) Both (A) and (R) are true but (R) is not the correct explanation of (A).
(c) (A) is true, but (R) is false.
(d) (A) is false, but (R) is true.
[U.P. Lower Sub. (Pre) 1998]
Ans. (a) Both (A) and (R) are true and (R) is the correct explanation of (A).
2. For wheat cultivation which fertilizer is used?
[47th B.P.S.C. (Pre) 2005]
3. The element not provided by the fertilizers is –
[U.P.P.C.S. (Mains) 2007]
4. Which one of the following is not correctly matched?
||Growth and Development
||Regulating stomatal opening and closing
[U.P. R.O./A.R.O. (Pre) 2016]
5. Which one of the following fertilizers leaves maximum acidity in the soil?
(b) Ammonium Sulphate
(c) Ammonium Nitrate
(d) Calcium Ammonium Nitrate
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 1996]
Ans. (b) Ammonium Sulphate
6. Urea is –
(a) A nitrogen-containing organic compound
(b) A nitrogen-containing inorganic compound
(c) A plant hormone
(d) An Endergonic compound
[U.P.P.C.S. (Pre) 2017]
Ans. (a) A nitrogen-containing organic compound
7. The percentage of nitrogen in urea is-
[U.P. Lower Sub. (Pre) 2009]
8. The elements present in urea are :
(a) C, H, O
(b) C, N, O
(c) C, H, N
(d) C, H, N, O
(e) None of the above / More than one of the above
[66th B.P.S.C. (Pre) 2020]
9. Which form of nitrogen is available in urea?
[U.P.P.C.S. (Spl.) (Mains) 2008]
10. Which of the following chemical fertilizers is relatively more soluble in water at 20oC?
(a) Ammonium Sulphate
(c) Diammonium phosphate
(d) Ammonium Chloride
[U.P. P.C.S. (Mains) 2017]
11. How much amount of urea will be required to supply 1 kg of nitrogen?
(a) 2.0 kg
(b) 2.2 kg
(c) 2.5 kg
(d) 2.7 kg
[U.P. B.E.O. (Pre) 2019]
12. With reference to chemical fertilizers in India, consider the following statements :
1. At present, the retail price of chemical fertilizers is market-driven and not administered by the Government.
2. Ammonia, which is an input of urea, is produced from natural gas.
3. Sulphur, which is a raw material for phosphoric acid fertilizer, is a by-product of oil refi neries.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 2 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
[I.A.S. (Pre) 2020]
13. What can be the impact of the excessive/ inappropriate use of nitrogenous fertilizers in agriculture?
1. The proliferation of nitrogen-fixing microorganisms in soil can occur.
2. The increase in the acidity of soil can take place.
3. Leaching of nitrate to the groundwater can occur.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
(a) 1 and 3 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
[I.A.S. (Pre) 2015]
14. The plants receive Nitrogen in the form of :
(a) Nitric oxide
[U.P. P.C.S. (Pre) 2016]
15. Nitrogen is taken by plants in the form of :
(c) Nitric acid
[Jharkhand P.C.S. (Pre) 2021]
16. Which of the following is consumed in the manufacture of urea fertilizer?
(a) Carbon dioxide
(b) Sulphur dioxide
(d) Nitric acid
[Uttarakhand P.C.S. (Mains) 2006]
17. Why does the Government of India promote the use of ‘Neem-coated Urea’ in agriculture?
(a) Release of Neem oil in the soil increases nitrogen fixation by the soil microorganisms
(b) Neem coating slows down the rate of dissolution of urea in the soil
(c) Nitrous oxide, which is a greenhouse gas, is not at all released into the atmosphere by crop fields
(d) It is a combination of a weedicide and a fertilizer for particular crops
[I.A.S. (Pre) 2016]
Ans. (b) Neem coating slows down the rate of dissolution of urea in the soil
18. What percentage of phosphorus ( P 2 O5) and Nitrogen (N) is present in DAP?
(a) 10% N and 20% P 2 O5
(b) 18% N and 46% P 2 O5
(c) 30% N and 60% P 2 O5
(d) 35% N and 70% P 2 O5
[U.P.P.C.S. (Mains) 2008]
Ans. (b) 18% N and 46% P 2 O5
19. Which one of the following is a mixed fertilizer?
(c) Ammonium Sulphate
[I.A.S. (Pre) 1995]
20. Which of the following is not a chemical fertilizer?
(b) Sodium Sulphate
(c) Super Phosphate
(d) Potassium Nitrate
[Uttarakhand P.C.S. (Pre) 2010]
21. The most popular fertilizer for foliar application is –
(a) Sodium Nitrate
(d) Potassium Chloride
[U.P. Lower Sub. (Pre) 2015, U.P.P.C.S. (Mains) 2015]
22. ‘Humus’ is an example of –
(a) Soil structure
(c) Organic colloids
(d) None of the above
[U.P.R.O./A.R.O. (Pre) 2014]
Ans. (c) Organic colloids
23. The most suitable crop for green manuring is –
[U.P.P.C.S. (Mains) 2015]